Chocolate is severely toxic to dogs because it contains theobromine. This is a stimulant that effects the nervous system and heart muscle, as well as increasing the frequency of urination.
Dogs can’t metabolize theobromine as effectively as humans. This allows it to build up in their system until it reaches toxic levels of concentration. This may lead to a variety of health problems including death due to cardiac arrest.
The less the dog weighs the more you should be worried because the toxicity levels are higher.
Here is a chart that has been published in the National Geographic Magazine that tells you the about the different types of chocolate and the effects it can have on your dog.
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactiveCheck your dogs’ weight against how much chocolate can cause symptoms from vomiting and diarrhea to death.
Cocoa Mulch is also toxic for your dog.Please click on this link for more information on the dangers of this cocoa-based garden soil dressing.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1486323/Cocoa-mulchwarning to dog-owners.html